[ExI] seeking advice with a shipping problem

PJ Manney pjmanney at gmail.com
Fri May 15 16:05:03 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 9:59 PM, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> Anyone have suggestions based on their own transnational shipping
> experience, even if it's not Australia or New Zealand=>USA?

Yes.  Keep in mind, this was almost 9 years ago, so my memory is hazy...

We used Crown Relocations
http://www.moveoverseas.co.uk/web/webcountry.nsf/uk-home.htm
They seem to specialize in expat relocation and shipping.

They were pretty great as movers went.  Brought the shipping
containers to the door.  (We used 2 1/2 40 footers)  We packed the
small stuff in boxes, they packed everything else, loaded it, took it
to the ship, etc.  We arranged our own movers to pick up at Port of
Los Angeles.  Crown may have US partners to get yours to Texas.  We
had minimal breakage, considering we moved an entire 2 story villa
full (Damien will know what I mean) of stuff with a family of four.

Shipping took 6 - 8 weeks, if I remember correctly.

Paperwork definitely had to be filled out and maintained by you, since
they may not be picking up at US end and any customs charges are your
responsibility.  They were good with faxing appropriate forms where
they needed to go, etc., but as always, I'd keep on top of them.  I'd
guess everything is emailable now.

Make sure there are no customs charges moving stuff back to the US.  I
don't think there should be on used goods.  I vaguely remember a
one-time, customs fee-free move, but that might have been TO New
Zealand and not TO the US.

I think everyone on our shows used Crown and I don't remember anyone
complaining about them (beyond the normal inconveniences when one
moves).  I have no idea how much they cost compared to other means,
since we long ago threw away the paperwork (and I think the shows
picked up some of the costs).

PJ