[ExI] seeking advice with a shipping problem

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Fri May 15 14:04:34 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 9:59 PM, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:

> Do such firms typically bring a container to the house and pack away one's goodies on the spot? Is Customs, insurance and any other paperwork done by the moving company?

Last time I made an international move, from Japan back to the US, all
the details and formalities were handled by the shipping company:
Checklists of all items, value for customs, packing, shipping,
storage, delivery and unpacking.  All the paperwork for the particular
export/customs requirements was prepared and handled by them, but it
was necessary that I or my agent be present at the origin to verify
descriptions of items being packed and sign the forms since what I was
shipping and declaring was ultimately my responsibility.

As for books, it has been a great pleasure (but initially a lot of
work) to have my several hundred book library converted to digital
form.

- Jef