[ExI] Once again: Some vitamins don't help in large doses

Michael LaTorra mlatorra at gmail.com
Fri May 15 21:24:12 UTC 2009

Hi Dan,
Sorry to say this, but your response looks like just another baseless
complaint against the overwhelming evidence that most supplements do not
work, either in animal studies or in human studies.

I say this as someone who took supplements for over 20 years. All I got was
kidney stones.

Please remember that the most powerful advocacy group for the use of
supplements is comprised of those who sell them. Researchers who do not sell
supplements or receive financial support from those that do -- in other
words, people who stake their reputations on the quality of their research
-- have conducted truly disinterested research and found little value to
most supplements.

This is what the science -- also known as "evidenced-based" investigation --
tells us. If you prefer "faith-based" belief systems, or simply accepting
what industry shills tell you, then fine, believe whatever you like. But
don't raise a bunch of niggling quibbles as if you had some greater
knowledge on the topic than the scientists who researched it. If you want to
read their report to verify their protocols and so forth, then by all means
do so and report back to us. But this is not what you have done. You've
snidely impugned their work in the very manner of the "faith-based" industry
shills who earn their living selling the modern equivalent of snake oil.

Did I put too fine a point on this?

If so, then let me be really blunt: Put up or shut up.

And have a wonderful day ;)

Mike