[ExI] META: Off-topic discussions

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Sun May 17 18:25:04 UTC 2009

Sure, everything is connected in some way, but that doesn't mean that it is
meaningful to list members.  The subject line ought to clarify the
underlying theme of posts' contents. An inappropriate subject line can
welcome, push away, or rebuke potential posters.  (The "anti-Jews" subject
line was off-putting.  Even if this is connected to transhumanism, the
subject line should have shown it.)

The list rules suggest that we use prefixes for subject headings:

"Posts about the list, or its rules, should have the pre-fix "META:" We
encourage the use of other prefixes indicating the content of a post.
Examples include, PHIL:, MATH:, SCI:, CHAT:, ARTS:, etc.

"Since the topic of discussion on the list can change constantly within a
single thread, we ask that the subject lines change accordingly. If you feel
that a thread is going off the original topic, that's perfectly fine, but
please change the subject line to let all list readers know what the topic
has become."

Nlogo1.tif Natasha Vita-More