[ExI] The Propriety of Who Should Say What

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sun May 17 20:13:55 UTC 2009

MB wrote:

> Olga writes:
>
>> I was making a connection to the post made about Asimov's "Jewish
>> background."  Asimov was anti-religious ... does his "Jewish background"
>> matter when describing him?  He was a humanist.  When do people stop being
>> Jews or Christians (if they become atheists)?
>
> Darned if I know.  In their own minds they may stop but others still think of them
> as Jews or Christians. Do you think a Christian could have gotten away with writing
> Asimov's joke books, full as they are of Jewish jokes?  I kinda doubt it.

And indeed, it's best if ethnic humor be committed
primarily by those of that ethnic group, seeing as
how unfortunately in so many places around the
world people are retreating into grouping by
race and ethnicity, and jokes can offend.

(In the early 20th century, the most fashionable
movement was *away* from ethnic identification,
e.g., Rand and Asimov hardly ever mentioned it,
and, with the spirit of the times, were quite
dismissive about it.)

Lee