[ExI] humor

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon May 18 02:07:40 UTC 2009

Harvey, the joke actually ridicules society, shames society's values.  He
built bridges, designed buildings!  But let him use an alternate orifice for
sensual pleasure and now he's derided, all of his accomplishments forgotten.
The gay jumper is the sympathetic character.  It really is unfair.  I
picture myself in that situation; even tho I am not particularly competent
with human emotions, I think I could talk the guy down.

A common thread in Jewish humor, according to Asimov, is a sense of tragedy
along with the comedy.