[ExI] birds again

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Mon May 18 06:54:11 UTC 2009

2009/5/17 spike <spike66 at att.net>:
> This is an example of one of those videos that makes you glad you lived to
> see it:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8vjYTXgIJw
>
> Applications to ant observations: apparently the technology exists to do
> what I was hoping to do, which is magnify and slow the action so that we can
> really see what the heck it is that the ants are doing.  Currently they are
> too fast and too small to know for sure.  I don't know how much the camera
> equipment costs.  This is a perfect example of a new technology that will
> enable a bunch of amateur scientists to make a original contributions to the
> field.  Humans have been watching beasts since forever, but ants and smaller
> beasts are difficult to observe.  New cameras might enable it.
>
> spike

I bet they would, that'd be very very cool. Maybe you could install
one underground even, looking into the nest?

Something else... I wonder if there's a way you could make ants
fluoresce (paint them??), or otherwise be bright in a non-visible part
of the spectrum? Then you could do nice long exposure stuff of where
they go.

Check out this one of a roomba:
http://www.doobybrain.com/2009/05/08/long-exposure-shows-roomba-cleaning-path/

Only slightly related, check out this "time warp" from the same series
as the hummingbird above, of a guy being punched in the face. We
really are sacks of liquid!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FqpDmUO0y0&feature=channel

--
Emlyn