[ExI] The Rationality of Belief is Relative

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Thu May 21 14:01:07 UTC 2009

From: "Lee Corbin" <lcorbin at rawbw.com>
To: "ExI chat list" <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>

> Slavery seemed perfectly natural to Aristotle
> and Cicero. You consider this a rational lapse
> on their parts?

Yes.  (And I would guess that many of the slaves probably didn't think
slavery was "perfectly natural.")

Thomas Jefferson also considered slavery to be natural (at least, he
certainly used free labor to his advantage to get "ahead"), But Thomas
Paine, a contemporary of Jefferson's, did not.  I consider Thomas Paine
smarter and more rational.

If cultural development, as you impute, is what's responsible for people
seemingly being more smart and rational, then cultural development lifts up
the whole lot of people who get exposed to it, making the "sheeple" smarter
and more rational.

Olga