[ExI] The Rationality of Belief is Relative

MB mbb386 at main.nc.us
Thu May 21 15:27:54 UTC 2009

Lee writes:
>> Slavery seemed perfectly natural to Aristotle
>> and Cicero. You consider this a rational lapse
>> on their parts?

Olga replies:

> Yes.  (And I would guess that many of the slaves probably didn't think
> slavery was "perfectly natural.")

My opinion is that the slaves probably thought it was normal and natural though
undesired personally.  Captives taken in war who were then made slaves may well have
been slave owners themselves previously. That's the way the world worked then.

Kinda like thinking the sun was the center of the universe.

We must be careful about judging what amounts to another world by present day
Western standards.

Regards,
MB