[ExI] LIT: The Medusa Complex - A Theory of Stoned Posthumanism

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Thu May 21 18:34:12 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Natasha Vita-More <natasha at natasha.cc> wrote:
> What I found interesting is the use of "mirror" and "reflection" and that
> posthumans cannot see themselves because they have no sense of identity and
> connectiveness to human.  Not my view.
>
> His biggest mistake, I think is claiming it an "impossibility".
>
> Damien makes a good point that it does fit in transhumanist discourse, but
> not with the above views because the transhumanist perspective identifies
> with identity as a primarily value.

My take is that it's typically postmodern "hall of mirrors" internal
reflection, supporting an infinite regress of narcissistic
navel-gazing.

Alternatively, I'm too philistine.  Or both.

As for identity as a primary value of transhumanism, this is where I
go my separate way, seeing extropianism as *more* encompassing,
increasing agency promoting present but evolving values as primary,
and identity as emergent.

- Jef