[ExI] Left Behind

Will Steinberg asyluman at gmail.com
Fri May 22 19:04:24 UTC 2009

Seems like a huge conflict in this sorta transhumanist talk concerns
pragmatism and progress versus romanticism.  The problem is that everyone
who is smart enough to think about this stuff also tends to be cultured
enough to love things like forests and books and history.  We are so
unwilling to let go of these humanist instincts--because the movement
focuses on transcending humanity and thus produces a whole
conflicty-dialectical-esque deal.

When viewed in a wider, panprogressivist style, we can think about letting
go of humanity as a step along a gradient, much like leaving for college or
a similar shift.  The notion of transhumanism is as subjective as they get
simply because it puts so much emphasis