[ExI] Left Behind

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sat May 23 18:40:56 UTC 2009

Natasha wrote:

 > [Lee wrote]
 >
>> At the risk of introducing an identity thread,
>> I have a simple question. Suppose that two
>> equally technically reliable alternatives
>> exist: non-destruct upload (where the body's
>> mind is just copied into VR) and destructive
>> upload (where the body is disintegrated as
>> the upload is performed). Questions of "backup"
>> aside---i.e. assuming total safety is ensured
>> in all cases---would "you" also leave behind
>> a meat copy, or (equivalently) would "you"
>> applaud the happiness of the self uploaded
>> (and continue to be about as content with
>> life as you are)?
>
> I'd keep a copy of the body (and have several upload copies as well.) I
> like the idea of having saved fasnions of the past.  Never know when I
> might want to pull it out, dust it off, and try it on for a spell.

So you'd just mothball the meat original? FWIW,
I'd (or rather, *we* would) keep the biological
old version running, so long as we (it as me)
continued to find its life worth living. It
would be vastly relieved to know that it had
really made it, cheated death, and was getting
a lot of great run time. But no need for it to
be turned off.

> No, let's not go into a thread on which is the real you.  Please.

Right :) we'll nip any such in the bud. But I
do note that y'all would run more than one upload :-)

Lee