[ExI] "meat"

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat May 23 19:08:05 UTC 2009

Most of the people posting here seem to have no notion how depraved
it is to speak of human bodies as "meat".

I wish you'd all get over this nerdish affectation.

Meat is dead, hacked-up flesh. My body isn't meat, it's me, and yours
isn't meat either. It's a living person. The jeering philistinism of
calling our bodies "meat" reminds me of insensitive oafs who disdain
van Vogh's paintings as "daubing" or Shakespeare as a "scribbler".

Yes, sometimes it's hard not to distance yourself from your frail
flesh when some of your organs start to break down, or viruses make
you sick, or when a consumerist culture flings endless hyperstimuli
images of toned, buff, beautiful humans at you, making you (for
values of "you" that I'm sure include at least some people in these
discussions) squirm with self-disgust inside your overweight unfit
short-sighted geekish pizza-and-Coke-fed body. I think we'd be better
off trying to maximize our sense of self-reliant embodiment rather
than indulging in abjection and denial.

None of this diatribe implies that *only* mammalian, conscious
embodiment deserves respect. But if we wish to see respect for minds
instantiated on different kinds of substrates, when they finally
arrive, we'd do well to start by getting rid of the cheap sneers at "meat".

Now the peanut gallery can start yipping about "political correctness."

Damien Broderick