[ExI] "meat"

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat May 23 21:17:01 UTC 2009

At 02:00 PM 5/23/2009 -0700, Lee wrote:

>>Most of the people posting here seem
> > to have no notion how depraved it
>>is to speak of human bodies as "meat".
>
>I plead guilty. Indeed, we should aspire
>to good taste whenever such an alternative
>is pointed out to us.

My vehemence derives from my perception that this *isn't* just a
matter of "good taste" or politeness, but a derangement of values far
deeper and more corrosive. It's the same dehumanizing process that
ends up vilifying Jews as "vermin."

And it's no accident that my objection is also often raised by many
of the intelligent critics of transhumanism; they can sometimes see,
from the outside, the pathologies that can creep into our discourse
and analysis.

As several people have commented to me offlist, "meat" is a common
way for $cientologists to refer to human bodies. That's no accident
either. In general it's the horrid body-hatred of Xianity recast in a
reductionist scientistic framework.

And obviously Max and Natasha and some others here don't fit this
category of body-loathing. It's not a design feature of
transhumanism, it's a malign bug that deserves to be squashed.

Damien Broderick