[ExI] Myostatin-inhibitor patron

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon May 25 09:22:48 UTC 2009

On 5/25/09, Bryan Bishop wrote:
>  I apologize for not keeping the extropians up on what I've been up to.
>  One of the projects that I have been working on involves myostatin
>  inhibitors. Myostatin is a negative regulator of muscle mass in the
>  human body. Through the inhibition of myostatin, mice, bovine, and
>  even some mutant humans (through natural recombinant effects)
>  experience increased muscle mass. In myostatin knock-out mice,
>  problems show up in tendon health. However, with a proper inhibitor
>  dosage regiment, the mice shouldn't experience these effects.
<snip>
>  I was wondering if anyone might know somebody would be interested in
>  helping fund this project. I do not have a full expense schedule at
>  the moment (and one could be constructed, although it would be more
>  speculative than filled with certainties), but if anybody has ever had
>  pet mice, you have the right idea in general in terms of expenses.

Of course, there are a bunch of laws controlling animal testing.
If you just buy some mice and start injecting them, you are probably
breaking these laws.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_testing>

Animal testing of treatments intended for human use are especially
rigorous. It is not just trying to find something that works. Testing
has to try to check for toxicity, side-effects, cancer causing, etc.
and usually takes many years and much expense before being authorized
for human use.

And even after all that, there is no guarantee that because it works
in mice it will also work in humans. Some new drugs had to withdrawn
after human tests killed or damaged people. Chimpanzees infected with
HIV don't get sick, for example.
And the opposite also applies. Some drugs that damage mice are
perfectly safe in humans.

There are many problems associated with animal testing.
(And it's not just about saving the cuddly bunnies!).

BillK