[ExI] "meat"

Mon May 25 16:08:37 UTC 2009

"Samantha Atkins" <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote,
> On May 23, 2009, at 2:17 PM, Damien Broderick wrote:
>> My vehemence derives from my perception that this *isn't* just a  matter
>> of "good taste" or politeness, but a derangement of values  far deeper
>> and more corrosive. It's the same dehumanizing process  that ends up
>> vilifying Jews as "vermin."
>
> Over the top rhetorical shouting.

I'm not sure it is.  I think Damien's central point is correct.  The term
"meat" is a belittling term, relegating the human body to a worthless hunk
of meat.  This may sound find to those who want to upload and discard this
worthless meat.  But those who fear uploading and wish to remain in their
bodies are terrified when transhumanists refer to their bodies as "meat".
To them, it is the same as if we referred to them as "spare parts",
"pre-amputated flesh", or "chaff" to be thrown away.  This term actually
implies a starting point of belittlement and an ending point of physical
destruction.

--
Harvey Newstrom <www.HarveyNewstrom.com>