[ExI] our next billion dollars

Michael LaTorra mlatorra at gmail.com
Mon May 25 18:29:40 UTC 2009

Another way to conceptualize these very big numbers is to use clock-time in
seconds.

I just plunked my calculator and came up with the following:

1 year = 31,557,600 seconds

1 billion seconds = 31.688 years (rounded)

1 trillion seconds = 31,688 years (rounded)

On that basis, the average American can expect to live for a couple of
billion seconds plus an additional 300 million seconds or so.

But no human being has yet lived for one trillion seconds.

Now there's a nice transhumanist goal:
I want to live one trillion seconds!
....Or more ;)

Regards,