[ExI] "meat"

Eschatoon Magic eschatoon at gmail.com
Mon May 25 18:52:47 UTC 2009

My native language does not really make a difference between "flesh"
and "meat", which is which is usually clear from the context or we add
qualifiers. I know the difference in English, but I don't feel it.

As I said I wish to "upload and discard this worthless meat". But of
course I am all for using friendly and non-threatening language
provided the meaning is still clear. So I will try to use "meat" much
less, except with those who engage in anti-transhumanist hysteria. For
them, I quite agree with John: "True, the word "meat" can seem like a
slap in the face to some, but sometimes when a person become
hysterical and stupid a shock to the system is required."

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 6:08 PM, Harvey Newstrom
<mail at harveynewstrom.com> wrote:
> "Samantha Atkins" <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote,
>>
>> On May 23, 2009, at 2:17 PM, Damien Broderick wrote:
>>>
>>> My vehemence derives from my perception that this *isn't* just a  matter
>>> of "good taste" or politeness, but a derangement of values  far deeper and
>>> more corrosive. It's the same dehumanizing process  that ends up vilifying
>>> Jews as "vermin."
>>
>> Over the top rhetorical shouting.
>
> I'm not sure it is.  I think Damien's central point is correct.  The term
> "meat" is a belittling term, relegating the human body to a worthless hunk
> of meat.  This may sound find to those who want to upload and discard this
> worthless meat.  But those who fear uploading and wish to remain in their
> bodies are terrified when transhumanists refer to their bodies as "meat". To
> them, it is the same as if we referred to them as "spare parts",
> "pre-amputated flesh", or "chaff" to be thrown away.  This term actually
> implies a starting point of belittlement and an ending point of physical
> destruction.
>
> --
> Harvey Newstrom <www.HarveyNewstrom.com>

Eschatoon Magic