[ExI] Myostatin-inhibitor patron

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Tue May 26 20:14:35 UTC 2009

--- On Tue, 5/26/09, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sorry, no current estimate. I like to cut corners when
> it comes to
> >  buying and building lab equipment, so
> estimations are hard to do.
> >  Yesterday, I was talking with a fellow who told
> me that this project
> >  would cost millions of dollars (I couldn't stop
> laughing). In the case
> >  of academic labs, you have to hire graduate
> students, maybe some
> >  undergrads, a post-doc or doctorate student,
> write lots of grants,
> >  have your accountant etc., etc., lab fees,
> material fees, etc. I can
> >  imagine the costs adding up very quickly in that
> sort of environment.
> >
> >  So, in the design of an animal-testing
> experiment (which I think comes
> >  much later), there definitely would be a control
> group and a study
> >  group, but not only that but multiple batches.
> I'll need to go review
> >  my statistics to figure out where exactly I
> should draw the line as to
> >  how many batches or how many different critters
> I should be raising to
> >  get a reasonable idea, but basically I really
> would like to find a
> >  correlation without sidestepping the
> statistics.
>
> To be blunt:
>
> If you don't have all the legally required animal testing
> licenses,
> premises inspections, animal care permits, etc. then what
> you are
> doing is torturing animals for a hobby.
>
> Tell your story to a lawyer first.

I agree that Bryan should be careful here regarding the law.  But I disagree that there is any sort of clear distinction between legally approved testing and testing per se.  Licenses and inspectors do not magically make something not torturing animals.  All licenses and approvals mean is that the authorities have approved -- nothing more, nothing less.

Regards,

Dan