[ExI] Restructuring executive compensation

Max More max at maxmore.com
Sat May 30 16:49:43 UTC 2009

While I think there is value in the high-level discussions of what
caused the financial mess and ensuing economic contraction, not
enough attention on this list has been given to the specifics. While
I agree with those who point the finger at government policies
(including those of the Fed and Freddie Mac, Fanny Mae, etc), I also
agree that the market economy does experience swings. These are not
necessarily bad, but smoothing them out a bit is probably good --
making economic coordination easier and reducing the costs of
misallocated resources.

One factor that no doubt contributed to the problems is the way
executive compensation has been incentivizing executives to take on
excessive risk in pursuit of short-term gains. That is *not* inherent
in the market system; it's a result of the specific compensation
schemes used. Four authors have recently published a working paper
suggesting a better compensation scheme. My review is here:

"Dynamic Incentive Accounts"
http://www.manyworlds.com/exploreCO.aspx?coid=CO5290911481773

Max

Max More, Ph.D.