[ExI] Ayn Rand and Evolution (was What is Meant by "Slavery"?)

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sat May 30 21:06:32 UTC 2009

2009/5/30 Olga Bourlin <fauxever at sprynet.com>

>  My hubby Patrick brought this to my attention recently - I had no idea
> about this aspect of Ayn Rand's views.  Patrick belongs to an Internet forum
> discussion group (talk origins or some such), and he forwarded one
> discussion to me where a person wrote "I can tell you what made Rand
> uncomfortable about the theory of evolution. If man descends from a lower
> animal, of whatever sort, then /the mind of man is no longer exceptional."

Not that the thought would keep me awake at night, but basically, as the
link mentions, AFAIK she never pondered much the subject nor was too
concerned about it. And being "uneasy with the theory of evolution" (as a
subject? at the current stage of that time? as per one's scarce knowledge of
the matter?) does not really make per se anybody an adversary of
"transformism".

And the conclusion of the person quoted above seems entirely unwarranted.

--
Stefano Vaj