[ExI] On the Street and On Facebook: The Homeless Stay Wired

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun May 31 17:47:31 UTC 2009

At 05:50 PM 5/31/2009 +1000, RL wrote:

>Sure, I hear 'Internet Access' is right next to food, clothing and
>bedding on Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.

Did you actually bother to read the WSJ article JG url'd? Maslow
would have had no trouble understanding this:

<When he realized he would be homeless, Mr. Livingston bought a
sturdy backpack to store his gear, a padlock for his footlocker at
the shelter and a $25 annual premium Flickr account to display the
digital photos he takes.

One recent morning, Mr. Livingston sat in a cafe that sometimes lets
customers tap its wireless connection, and shows off his personal
home page, featuring links for Chinese-language lessons.

Mr. Livingston says his computer helps him feel more connected and
human. "It's frightening to be homeless," he says. "When I'm on here,
I'm equal to everybody else.">

Damien Broderick