[ExI] future fizzle

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun May 31 18:20:40 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 3:06 AM, Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This is a nice rationalisation, but one which ramains at odd with the stated
>> plans of the main space agencies of the world.
>
> Firstly, I'm not associated with NASA's space program and I have no
> need or desire to rationalize anything in that respect. That's just my
> understanding of the facts. Secondly, I don't know the stated plans of
> the main space agencies of the world, but I'm pretty sure NASA is the
> only one currently exploring Mars--and I think unmanned exploration
> that actually happens is way more useful than manned missions that are
> always 5 years away.

What I am saying here is that as a quickly googleing easily shows,
both NASA and other space agencies *all* declare manned Mars
expeditions being amongst their goals. You are welcome to disagree
with them, but this is not really relevant to my contention.

>> And... accomplish what?
>
> Um, exploring Mars?

To what purpose?

> So you see space missions as a kind of international dick size
> contest?

This would be wishful thinking from my side. They are now just an
embattled afterthought, other much less interesting challenges having
taken their place in terms of international dick size contest.

--
Stefano Vaj