[ExI] Believers In Equality Bigger Impulsive Shoppers (ParaPundit)

Mirco Romanato painlord2k at libero.it
Tue Nov 3 19:51:13 UTC 2009

http://www.parapundit.com/archives/006644.html
Believers In Equality Bigger Impulsive Shoppers

http://www.rice.edu/nationalmedia/news2009-10-20-impulsive.shtml

Where people do not believe in equality people exercise more control
over their behavior. So has the national promotion of equality in
America led to a nation of spendthrifts and credit bubbles?

     Power-distance belief (PDB) is the degree of power disparity the
people of a culture expect and accept. It is measured on a scale of zero
to 100, and the higher the PDB, the more a person accepts disparity and
expects power inequality. Americans have a low PDB score relative to
people in countries like China and India. The study found that people
who have a high PDB score tend to exhibit more self-control and are less
impulsive when shopping.

Abandon the dubious belief in equality and get control of your finances.

     “In our studies, people with low PDB scores spent one-and-a-half
times the amount spent by high-PDB individuals when buying daily items
like snacks and drinks,” Mittal said.

If you reject the popular view that equality is good you'll become
better able to resist candy?

     This effect was even more pronounced for "vice goods" -- tempting
products like chocolate and candy -- than for "virtue goods" like yogurt
and granola bars. The researchers hypothesized that people with low PDB
scores -- who also should have lower self-control -- would show even
stronger impulsive buying for vice goods because of their desire for
immediate gratification. Indeed, the researchers found low-PDB people
spent twice as much on vice goods as high PDB people spent.

Big saving China and Japan have less belief in equality. The lower the
score the higher the belief we should all be equal.

     On the PDB (Geert Hofstede’s Cultural Dimensions), the U.S. scores
at a low 40 compared with Russia (93), the Philippines (94), Singapore
(74), China (80) and India (77).

     Austria (11), Germany (35) and New Zealand (22) also score low,
whereas Japan (54), Vietnam (45) and South Africa (49) score more in the
middle.

We aren't equal in intelligence, knowledge, self-control or wisdom. We
aren't all equal in our ability to choose leaders or choose foods in a
grocery store. Some people are walking talking disasters. Others are
wise and brilliant.