[ExI] Immersive A-life and Media Art Practices

natasha at natasha.cc natasha at natasha.cc
Tue Nov 3 20:12:25 UTC 2009

I was just reading a paper "Immersive Artificial Life (A-Life) Art"
(Edwina 2005) which covers new practice-based fields in the media arts
which explore hybridity, emergence and symbiosis through A-life,
bio-A-life, etc.  available here: http://www.ekac.org/edwina.html

pay to download: http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-137717172.html or
available at
http://www.amazon.com/Immersive-artificial-life-life-art/dp/B000CR8JOU

It is know that the media arts is just beginning to recognize
transhumanism.  It is inferred in a section which discusses N
Katherine Hayles view of view of transcending and transforming the
biological body as Christian-based. Other than that, it is also
inferred when Kevin Kelly (who is an extropian transhumanist) is noted
as saying "at the time that the logic of Bios is being imported into
machines, the logic of Technos is being imported into life".

I'd like to know if anyone would like to read the or at least skim it
to then to have a discussion with me, and whomever is interested, on
how transhumanism relates to the filds discuss and to locate links to
the practices (mentioned in this article) to better draw attention to
an important (and overlooked) direction of where this is headed (that
of transhumanism or the vision of transhumanist future).

My reason is that the practices mentioned are not addressing issues of
human transformation, radical life extension and AGI, and humans
merging with machines as being a self-directed practice, etc.

Many thanks,
Natasha

Natasha Vita-More