[ExI] Is unemployment the future?

JOSHUA JOB nanite1018 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 06:35:14 UTC 2009

Just a quick point about the Depression:
Hoover's policies weren't really a problem (though I don't think they
helped any). The Federal Reserve turned what would have been an
average recession into the greatest economic disaster in history, by
severely and artificially restricting credit. It did the exact
opposite of what it "should" have done (that is, they made it worse).
Massive restriction on the money supply reduced bank liquidity,
causing some failures, which caused runs (which couldn't be dealt with
because of the low liquidity), and on and on. Ben Bernanke has studied
the Depression extensively and is considered an expert on the subject,
and he said at a talk he gave a couple years back "We did it, we're
sorry, and we won't let it happen again," referring to the Great
Depression. Laissez-faire didn't have anything really to do with the
Depression, it was the Fed which created that catastrophe.

Joshua Job
nanite1018 at gmail.com