[ExI] new alibi

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 12:55:19 UTC 2009

2009/11/13 spike <spike66 at att.net>

> http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/11/12/facebook.alibi/index.html
>

> Better idea: set up a contraption that can be triggered by a cell phone
> call, robber drives across town, calls home, phone ringer is rigged to drop
> something on the send key, pull off robbery, go home, hope some yahoo didn't
> call her trying to sell her carpet cleaning service a minute after she left
> the house.
>
> You could avoid all the mechanical failure by using remote desktop software
on your smart phone.

"This is a 19-year-old kid. He's not a criminal genius setting up an
elaborate alibi for himself," he said. "This is not the kind of thing
someone would fake."

Yeah, because it would take a criminal genius to make a facebook update.  I
am disappointed that this could ever be seen as proof of anything much less
"an unbeatable alibi."  I might have understood if this happened in a less
tech-savvy part of the country - but it was New York.