[ExI] singularity thru simulation of evolution

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Mon Nov 16 02:43:18 UTC 2009

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009, spike wrote:

[...]
> Is there an alternate path to the singularity that does not require a deep
> understanding of how intelligence came about to start with?  Is there any
> path to the singularity that does not require an understanding deep enough
> to create a simulation which successfully demonstrates the evolution of
> intelligence?  If so, do share.

If I had to fantasize about it, then I would say some expert system could
- by some unevitable accident - gain enough critical mass to develop
self-awareness. I don't know what would happen after that. And
self-awareness not necessarily equates consciousness. And all this not
necessarily leads to S. But maybe it can.

Perhaps there are some research on intelligence amplifiers (not drugs)
going on somewhere (I haven't checked... yet). One of such amplifiers
could amplify itself (again, by chance). This is actually generalisation
of the first case, since expert system can be thought of as I.A.

I doubt a little about possibility to go this "evolutionary path" using
today's supercomputers, even connected with each other. Depends on what
actually you would like to evolve. Think about evolving a model of
ultimate racing car. This is much smaller thing and I am still doubtfull
(as we speak about years 2009 and 2010). But evolving better metamaterial
for safety belts is in our reach. Just guessing.

Regards
Tomasz Rola