[ExI] Ants for spike! Dawkins and Wilson

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 11:07:56 UTC 2009

2009/11/15 Max More <max at maxmore.com>

> What bothered me about Wade's article is the quick assumption that
> evolution has directly favored religious belief. It seems at least as likely
> to me that evolutionary pressures have led to certain general cognitive and
> emotional capabilities (including the ability to create narratives, and a
> desire for certainty) that make it easy for most humans to construct
> religious beliefs.

Especially since "religion" in the modern sense of the word is a very
western-centric re-interpretation of diverse and innumerable cultural
narratives which have very tenuous homologies and analogies with one
another...

Starting with the Seventies' idea of translating Jahvé with "theos", for
lack of a better solution, when I suspect that He would have hardly
qualified in the worldview of the original Greek speakers...

--
Stefano Vaj