[ExI] Reading material

JOSHUA JOB nanite1018 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 03:44:55 UTC 2009

I have two questions on reading material related to extropianism:
The first, and somewhat less important, is: other than the articles
under the "writing" section of Max More's site, is there any
repository for the old articles from Extropy (or even better copies of
Extropy itself)? I would love to be able to read more, if they exist
buried somewhere on a server or in a hard drive.

The second and more important, is that I am looking for a book on
transhumanism written from a more extropian point of view. I am in a
living/learning community at Georgia Tech which is focused on "human
augmentation," and we have been doing a book club as part of that.
We've read "Radical Evolution" by Joel Garreau and are just finishing
up "Citizen Cyborg" by James Hughes. Hughes' book is written from the
point of view of a democratic transhumanist, and I was wondering if
there was a book on transhumanism more from a libertarian/extropian
sort of view. I think this would give us a good contrast, and spark
some good discussions. I looked at the reading list at http://www.nanotech-now.com/transhuman-books.htm
  , but I didn't see anything that was manifestly along those lines.

The closest book I can think of would be Ray Kurzweil's "The
Singularity is Near" but I was hoping there might be another option,
as that book is, apparently, dry to some people (though not to me, at
all). A crude search for "extropy" and "extropianism" didn't really
turn up anything, so I was hoping the list might be able to point in
the direction of some relevant books.

Any help, on either of these questions, would be very very much
appreciated. Thank you!

Joshua Job
nanite1018 at gmail.com