[ExI] Ants to spike

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Oct 20 17:15:04 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 12:59:39PM -0400, Brent Neal wrote:

> >So you think there was too little acetate ions to make lead acetate?
>
> Could be, but i think it unlikely that you would digest PbCO3 (or PbO,

You could. Just make sure you destroy the organic matrix; calcination
would do. But it's always a good idea to have a few chemicals in the
house.

> or lead chromate) with an organic acid. You could check the solubility

You don't need anything more for lead chromate than your eyes.

> products in the literature to be sure. I looked up lead paint, rather
> than relying on memory. They used all three of the species I just
> mentioned.
>
> Always a good possibility. Being a physicist, I'd find a portable XRF
> unit, or find a lab on campus that had one. XRF will give you proof
> positive of the presence of significant quantities of lead, in any
> oxidation state, in any compound. Hell of a lot easier than chemistry,
> if you've got it. :D

It is strange what a physicist considers easier. I think 18th/19th
century qualitative analytics is hard to beat in speed and
simplicity.