[ExI] [ieet] Singularity - Non-Gender Specific

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Sep 29 22:46:24 UTC 2009

On 9/29/2009 5:00 PM, natasha at natasha.cc wrote:
>> Can you give some examples of phallic singularitarianism? What
>> currently is "gender specific in its promotion"?
>
> Visually, the camera angle of men - mostely from the bottom up to
> enlarge the form/figure. I think that both the Singularity Institute and
> University are too focused on fast-track futurism rather than social
> issues as well as human, transhuman, posthuman issues.

Seems we're going in circles here. I asked if you meant there were too
few women involved in promoting the idea, and you came back with "I am
not asking why more women are not discussing the Singularity.  (Why is
it that is women are mentioned, there has to be a giant leap to sex
symbols?)".

>> I do see, and agree with, your comment that "cyborg" has been
>> appropriated by feminist and other poststructuralist theorists. What's
>> the equivalent you have in mind?

> The equivalent I have in mind is the chrysalis that I mentioned.

I must have been unclear, again. I was asking what the equivalent is of
males having appropriated the inherently sex-neutral idea of a
technological singularity. Is it just the "camera angle of men" and
other instances of men usually being the speakers? What does it mean to
say that singularitarians are avoiding "social issues"? The chrysalis
figuration is intriguing (it reminds me of the feminist "wise crone": as
you put it, "it is well-known to women as a transformation stage from
being fertile, reproductive organism to transforming into non-physically
reproductive BUT intellectually productive, wise organisms") but it
seems to imply a teleological pathway--like menopause--from where we are
to a kind of predetermined transcendence (pupas don't *decide* to become
butterflies, nor can they choose not to be).

Damien Broderick