[ExI] [ieet] Singularity - Non-Gender Specific

natasha at natasha.cc natasha at natasha.cc
Tue Sep 29 22:00:49 UTC 2009

Quoting Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com>:

> On 9/29/2009 4:03 PM, natasha at natasha.cc wrote:
>
>>> You must be saying something
>>> deeper than that.
>>
>> Far deeper, yes. I think my original post alludes to this.
>
> I didn't see there an answer to:
>
> Can you give some examples of phallic singularitarianism? What
> currently is "gender specific in its promotion"?

Visually, the camera angle of men - mostely from the bottom up to
enlarge the form/figure. I think that both the Singularity Institute
and University are too focused on fast-track futurism rather than
social issues as well as human, transhuman, posthuman issues.  Not TED
enough, yet not scholary enough either.

> I do see, and agree with, your comment that "cyborg" has been
> appropriated by feminist and other poststructuralist theorists. What's
> the equivalent you have in mind?

The equivalent I have in mind is the chrysalis that I mentioned.  I
never favored Haraway's interpretation of cyborg (however politically
incorrect it is to say this, especially in my discipline), and I have
longed for its meaning as a self-regulatory system for existing in
non-earth environments.  But because it was so male-oriented (what is
often referred to as white male-centric), Haraway's appropriation of
cyborg was a refreshing alternative for many in theory, social
sciences, liberal arts, rhetoric, gay and lesbian studies, etc.

It seems plausible that because the current Singularity organizations
do not approach the Singularity through a diverse spectra of
intellectuals and visionaries, it too could find itself confiscated by
feminists, or whomever, and reworked to fit its social needs.

Natasha