[ExI] [wta-talk] [mta] I am a Singularitian who does not believe in the Singularity

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 17:50:48 UTC 2009

2009/9/30 Lincoln Cannon <lincoln at metacannon.net>

> Enjoyed the thoughts, Giulio. Count me among the transhumanists that do not
> ("believe" is not quite the right word for me) advocate or necessarily
> anticipate a technological singularity in the superlative sense. We have a
> moral obligation to remain empowered relative to our technology, changing
> for the better along with it.

I do think instead that I have a "moral" obligation, on the basis of on my
value system, to advocate an effort towards as much "superlativity" as
possible, the degree thereof, or my anticipations and expectations
thereabout, being immaterial to such stance.

And I do not believe that any meaningful distinction really exists, in our
extended phenotype, between our technology and ourselves, let alone in any
diacronical sense.

I, too, expect that we will continue to
> augment our capacities at the same rate as our technological progress -- to
> date, that's exactly what our technology has always been: a prosthetic
> extension of ourselves.

In fact, this is what it can't help being, irrespective of what we can do or
think about it...

--
Stefano Vaj