[ExI] walmart again: was RE: Capitalism is like a poker game

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Apr 13 20:33:42 UTC 2010

Sure Dan, but you personally have the option of not shopping at Walmart, and
instead patronizing the many boutique shops that are so common these days.
I recognize that the whole question is filled with maddening paradox.  For
instance, those who do not like Walmart often like the notion of raising
minimum wage.  Furthermore, it isn't clear it makes it harder on the
competitors, for there is still a few merchants who pay their workers more
than minimum anyway in exchange for their actually having to know something
about the products on their shelves.  By raising minimum wage, the prices at
Walmart would need to be raised proportionally to cover the additional cost,
and so would approach the prices at the boutique stores, giving the
advantage to the latter.

I am a silent witness to a wild local battle, specifically about Walmart.
The local Wallyworld proposes expanding dramatically, carry groceries and so
forth.  I see both good and bad in this, and yes I do shop at WalMart
personally, completely without shame or ethical reservations.  I recognize
that local merchants will be hurt by it's imposing presence.

Among it's many virtues, if you dress weird enough when shopping there, you
may get the opportunity of being ridiculed by people all over the planet:

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

Even if one does not make the website, just seeing how the other proles
dress there causes a geek to feel downright Hollywood in comparison.  It is
like when you go to the retirement home and see all the crippled old people
there, and it casues you feel like some sort of superhuman athlete, only it
is the fashion-related counterpart to that feeling.

I am hoping that the establishment of a "Super Walmart" will result in
super-weird clothing being donned by the super-proles who trade there.  I
figure derisive laughter is the sincerest form of flattery.  Even if it is
actually negative flattery, it is still sincere.

Regarding my first contention, I do encourage all of you to exercise the
option to not shop at WalMart at every opportunity, for this allows me to
waste less time getting through the checkout line.  Or if you do shop there,
I do urge you to dress like the red underwear lady in the link above.  I
took one look at her and forgot what it was I came there to purchase.