[ExI] Mining the Sky SL Talk I gave today

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Apr 26 05:11:24 UTC 2010

> ...On Behalf Of samantha
> Subject: Re: [ExI] Mining the Sky SL Talk I gave today
>
> ... We meet in SL at 1100 SLT
> (Pacific Time) every Saturday at
> http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Transvision%20Nexus/40/86/41.
> Please drop by if you are in world.
>
> Now that I have a bit more time, I am building a RW presence
> for the group.  We have a fairly new group page on Facebook,
> ning presence (not very fond of them so not much maintained)
> and I am working on a website.
>    It is likely that a meetup group (Bay Area) will follow soon.
>
> - samantha
>

> Adrian Tymes wrote:
> > Mind if I forward this chat log + presentation to some friends?...

This is cool!  I might try to make the scene if I can.  I am up to my
eyeballs in family responsibilities these days, but perhaps I can do it some
time.

I had a thought regarding mining of asteroids.  We have an example in the
world of archaeology, where some of the earliest sites to be discovered were
completely destroyed without yielding much information, because the early
scientists knew so much less.  Later, techniques were discovered which
allowed scientists to do more with less.

In a sorta analogous fashion, it is easy for me to imagine that the first
asteroids to be mined would be converted into stuff that is far less useful
than the later ones.  So it sets up a paradox a little like the
archoeologists live with every day.  So the race is on now to imagine good
ways to use the material in the first asteroids to be mined.