[ExI] Mining the Sky SL Talk I gave today

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Apr 26 15:00:52 UTC 2010

> ...On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes
> Subject: Re: [ExI] Mining the Sky SL Talk I gave today
>
> --- On Sun, 4/25/10, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> > So the race is on
> > now to imagine good
> > ways to use the material in the first asteroids to be  mined.
>
> Bulk mining of platinum-group metals, to be shipped down to
> Earth for resale on the commodity market...

I have heard that suggestion, but my intuition is that there all materials
on asteroids are more valuable in interplanetary space than they are on the
deck.  It isn't immediately obvious what stuff like gold and platinum could
be used for up there, but we really don't make good use of it here either.
In any case, I continue to think none of it would be worth the cost to
re-enter the atmosphere for the small amount any material is increased in
value here vs in space.