[ExI] Wikileaks

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Mon Dec 6 19:59:16 UTC 2010

On 06/12/2010 18:53, spike wrote:
> But hoooow do we know it is *the truth* about their governments?  It came
> from unsecured links (this we know because it was downloaded by a junior
> person with a flash drive) so I can imagine tons of decoys, Trojan horses,
> booby traps and e-trackers in that "truth." PFC Manning could have been
> fooled into leaking bogus info, which Assange merely passed along, which
> could then phone home and be used to net jillions of amateur terrorists.

(Hi there!)

That would have been a neat trick. However, given the fallout in
diplomatic circles ("Nobody wants to talk to us anymore" as one senior
diplomat apparently complained) and across a vast number of national
interests (everything from copyright treaties over trade deals to the
relationship to various nations) it would be a very costly strategy.
Maybe that is just to make it more plausible, but so far there has not
been anything in the leak that seems so enticing that it would net any
terrorists worth the rest of the trouble.

Of course, maybe the real source was some intelligence agency that was
uninterested in that it messed up things for nearly all other
foreign-oriented parts of the government... in which case Heads Will
Roll when that comes to light internally.

The trouble with conspiracy theory is that it assumes people are really
competent and know what they are doing.

(According to my contacts in relevant Swedish networks, the sex
accusations against Assange are likely less of a devious set-up and more
of a collision of a number of people with bad judgement. Any court case
will be sleazy and embarassing for anybody involved, the Swedish court
included.)

--
Dr Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute