[ExI] the ambiguously evil british have leaked julian assange's address

Darren Greer darren.greer3 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 22:04:36 UTC 2010

>I remember as a teenager seeing documentaries about McCarthyism and
thinking to myself, "those sorts of things could never happen again!"
I turned out to be so horribly wrong about that...<

As dispiriting as it is to think that we haven't come very far, in the end I
believe it's a good thing to contemplate and understand. I think it was Elie
Wiesel that said that if we continue to brand Hitler and the European
fascists as sheer monsters instead of ordinary humans capable
of monstrous acts, we won't  be able to recognize and forestall it when it's
happening again.

The tuning point in my understanding of where we are politically came when I
read John Keegan's Second World War and  Henry Wallace's (Roosevelt's VP)
1944 essay The Danger Of American Fascism.

http://newdeal.feri.org/wallace/haw23.htm

Up until then I thought, like most, that fascism was
overt totalitarian control by the few over the many, and characterized by
jack-booted racial intolerance. I got my eyes opened for good when I read
that essay and Mussolini's definition of it: *"Fascism should more
appropriately be called corporatism **because it is a merger of state and
corporate power."*
*
*
Then I learned that the U.S. congress has a fasces symbol on one of its
interior walls, and that was the end of my political innocence.  I'm not
exactly a New Wold Order Conspiracy theorist, mostly because I don't believe
these guys are clever or patient enough to plan for that long and in such
secrecy.  But I'm not exactly brimming over with civic pride and trust in
our political leaders either. And if I ever do get invited to Bilderberg,
I'm wearing a wire.

Darren

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 5:34 PM, John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 11:12:08PM -0400, Darren Greer wrote:
>
> > rather liberators. Did it in Poland, Czechoslovakia, France. The fact
> that
> > some government officials want to brand Wikileaks as a terrorist
> > organization should scare you. It should scare all of us. As you suggest,
> > you can paint anything with that particular brush.  It reminds me very
> much
> > of the kind of propaganda tactic that Shirer described.
>
> Eugen replied:
> Apologies for a me-too. But it's not "reminds me very much of".
> It is absolutely very much exactly 100% the very same thing. This is
> the threshold where Godwin's law starts to break down.
> Caveat emptor. Your soul is at stake.
> >>>

> John
>

> On 12/17/10, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 11:12:08PM -0400, Darren Greer wrote:
> >
> >> rather liberators. Did it in Poland, Czechoslovakia, France. The fact
> that
> >> some government officials want to brand Wikileaks as a terrorist
> >> organization should scare you. It should scare all of us. As you
> suggest,
> >> you can paint anything with that particular brush.  It reminds me very
> >> much
> >> of the kind of propaganda tactic that Shirer described.
> >
> > Apologies for a me-too. But it's not "reminds me very much of".
> > It is absolutely very much exactly 100% the very same thing. This is
> > the threshold where Godwin's law starts to break down.
> > Caveat emptor. Your soul is at stake.
> >
> > --
> > Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://leitl.org">leitl</a> http://leitl.org

*"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."
*