[ExI] cure for global warming is working

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Dec 21 11:32:02 UTC 2010

The NAO (North Atlantic Oscillation) is pretty cool actually. It is a
fine example of how the weight of eigenmode can fluctuate. It can be
modeled rather elegantly as a differential equation driven with noise.

The current ensemble forecasts of the NAO index
http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/nao.shtml
suggest that we will be having more nasty winter weather until at least
middle January.

Most likely it is not strongly climate coupled, according to what I have
read myself and discussed with the Oxford climate scientists. Not quite
weather, but definitely not climate either. And since NAO and a bunch of
the other oscillatory modes are connected in a messy way we shouldn't be
too surprised by correlated unusual weather.

(OK, time to start preparing for getting out into the Swedish snow
rather than sit in front of the cozy broadband connection...)

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute