[ExI] Linguistic shifts

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Dec 21 11:31:58 UTC 2010

An interesting take on language evolution came up during our roleplaying
game session yesterday. Set in the post-singularity universe of Eclipse
Phase, a young transhuman kid was talking to the crusty spaceship
old-timer (born sometime around 2010!) Their personal AIs were
struggling to translate the slang either used, since the same word had
changed meaning so many times between them ("I think your owner is
thinking of 'munchkin' in the game-meaning, not the software, economic,
documentary or biotech sense... unless he is talking about asteroids, of
course")

Automated translation will always suffer from the dynamics of real
languages. Not to mention the effects of automatic translation - we
adapt our languages to the technology, so if translation is easy people
will talk in such a way that their talk can be translated well enough,
not in the "right" way.

Och of course vi speak flytande Swenglish here i Sweden these dagar.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute