[ExI] Linguistic shifts

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Dec 21 16:49:32 UTC 2010

... On Behalf Of Anders Sandberg
Subject: Re: [ExI] Linguistic shifts

>...Och of course vi speak flytande Swenglish here i Sweden these dagar.

I can translate that:  "Eh, of course I speak a mixture of English and
Swedish, but here in Sweden I carry this really big knife."

>...Automated translation will always suffer from the dynamics of real
languages. Not to mention the effects of automatic translation - we adapt
our languages to the technology, so if translation is easy people will talk
in such a way that their talk can be translated well enough, not in the
"right" way.Anders Sandberg

So we need to think of adapting language in such a way that automated
translation effectively translates it.  A good technical paper is already
written that way: engineering terms are often universal, mathematical
equations are exactly universal.  So we start by eliminating figures of
speech specific to our own cultures, and migrate towards words that have
more universal and very specific meanings.