[ExI] Who is safe?

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 14:49:45 UTC 2010

2010/12/15 Omar Rahman <rahmans at me.com>
> "Do we have any way to confirm any of it?" Is that a serious question?How about investigative journalism and civil/criminal inquiries?

In any event, the authenticity only has to be proved when it is
formally denied by the individuals concerned ("A part of the document
was added, another part was removed, such a document on that date and
with those recipients never existed in the first place").

"No comment", let alone a "no comment" issued by a third party, let
alone "it is really, really bad to disclose my secrets" does not
really qualify. Actually, the latter statement might even be construed
as an implicit admissions (fabrications may be criticised under other
aspects but do not betray any confidentiality whatsoever).

Moreover, for the leaks to be technically "true" it is sufficient (and
indeed scandalous enough) that what has been uploaded is an actual
copy of the relevant document. The fact that its author was telling
the factual truth is not required.

Rather, the suggestion that in one instance or another he or she may
not be opens a whole set of additional, perhaps even more embarassing,
questions.

--
Stefano Vaj