[ExI] simulation as an improvement over reality

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 26 02:29:03 UTC 2010

2010/12/25 spike <spike66 at att.net>:
> A major puzzle in my own life has been why the cosmos are not buzzing with
> signals.  Why is it so quiet out there?  I estimate one in ten star systems
> has life forms, one in a thousand multicellular with perhaps one in a
> hundred thousand with tech-capable life forms.  That makes for a buuunch of
> tech life forms in this galaxy alone.
>
> If technologically advanced life forms typically upload and turn inward, it
> offers a good explanation for why it is so quiet out there.  They aren’t
> listening to us and don’t care to talk, for they are busy.

Are we just not clever enough to understand the "noise" around us?

If you've ever opened an image file in a text editor you get the sense
of "broken/corrupted text file" but that's just because you're using
the wrong tool to interpret the information.  I'm not going to even
speculate on the dimension(s) that right tool might have.