[ExI] cure for global warming

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Dec 28 18:18:02 UTC 2010

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Samantha Atkins
.

>May I ask why we are wasting mental energy talking about something there is
no demonstrable need for instead of deploying the same energy on things that
are of great concern and/or need?    How rational are we?  How rational do
we actually decide to be? - Samantha

Ja and another question that comes up repeatedly is: what if we do something
to actively combat global warming, then the next winter there is a killing
freeze somewhere, as there is always, every single winter and always has
been.  But now those doing the SO2 pumping, or any other *action* are liable
for the damage, and all unintended consequences.  But by historical
precedent, passiveness ordinarily doesn't result in legal liability: if our
failing to burn sufficient carbon fuels to create global warming results in
a killing freeze somewhere, it isn't our fault.

I can easily imagine that line of reasoning killing any and every attempt at
any active solution to global warming.