[ExI] Meat v. Machine

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Dec 31 10:00:10 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 11:32:36PM -0800, Samantha Atkins wrote:

> Well sure but such a ship is likely to have thousands
> of human civ equivalents running at that speed within
> it.  I don't think that is what I would call a bunch
> of space faring anti-social loners.

The most efficient way is to send a dormant seed, which
goes through the process of morphogenesis, and results
in an individuum. You will need redundant encoding and
continuous defect detection and recovery running all
the time in order to deal with with interstellar gas,
which is relativistic relatively to you.

Think of it as cosmic kudzu.