[ExI] Blue Brain Project.

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 8 20:25:56 UTC 2010

On Feb 7, 2010, Ben Zaiboc wrote:

> Anyone not familiar with this can read about it here:
> http://seedmagazine.com/content/article/out_of_the_blue/P1/
>
> The next ten years should be interesting!

Great article, thanks Ben! sort of makes Gordon Swobe's remark "I look inside your head I see nothing even remotely resembling a digital computer " seem rather medieval. These are some of my favorite quotes :

"In ten years, this computer will be talking to us."

"Once the team is able to model a complete rat brain—that should happen in the next two years—Markram will download the simulation into a robotic rat, so that the brain has a body. He’s already talking to a Japanese company about constructing the mechanical animal. “The only way to really know what the model is capable of is to give it legs,” he says. “If the robotic rat just bumps into walls, then we’ve got a problem.”"

“Now we just have to scale it up.” Blue Brain scientists are confident that, at some point in the next few years, they will be able to start simulating an entire brain. “If we build this brain right, it will do everything,” Markram says. I ask him if that includes selfconsciousness: Is it really possible to put a ghost into a machine? “When I say everything, I mean everything,” he says, and a mischievous smile spreads across his face."

 John K Clark