[ExI] Newbie Question: Consciousness and Intelligence

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 19:52:58 UTC 2010

On 12 February 2010 22:24, Christopher Luebcke <cluebcke at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I was wondering, given the lively back and forth I've seen on this list, whether the participants are agreed on the meanings of the terms "consciousness" and "intelligence". For example, were someone to posit that you cannot have consciousness without intelligence, are the meanings of those two terms widely agreed on?

I do not think so. This may be the crux of the problem. Intelligence
comes easier (btw, even stupid people are sometimes conscious...).
Consciousness would be easy enough as well but only as long as you do
not charge it with some transcendental meaning having to do with
self-perception of the self, etc.

--
Stefano Vaj