[ExI] Newbie Question: Consciousness and Intelligence

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 13 21:23:34 UTC 2010

--- On Sat, 2/13/10, Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I was wondering, given the lively back and forth I've
>> seen on this list, whether the participants are agreed on
>> the meanings of the terms "consciousness" and
>> "intelligence".

> I do not think so. This may be the crux of the problem.

I think you have a point there.

I wonder for example why some people here have trouble with my observation that amoebas (and most organisms on earth) have intelligence but no consciousness.

It seems to me obvious that amoebas and other single-celled organisms have some intelligence: they can find food and procreate and so on. But because they lack nervous systems, it looks to me like these simple creatures live out their entire lives unconsciously.

-gts