[ExI] Is the brain a digital computer?

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 17:15:13 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Gordon Swobe <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> You think the organic brain differs from other biological organs.

Of course brains are different from other organs: they perform a
different function. A liver would
make a terrible brain, and brains are lousy lungs.

> You will agree with me for example
> when I assert that a digital simulation of a complete heart running on a computer does not equal a
> real complete heart capable of pumping real blood through its chambers. Yes?

Agreed.

> But then you will disagree with me when I assert the same exact principle with respect to brains:
> you will disagree when I assert that a digital simulation of a brain running on a computer does not
> equal a real brain capable of having real thoughts.

A digital simulation of a thing is never equal to the real thing, but
that doesn't mean that a simulation
can't have some intangible property of the real thing.

> Can you or anyone here explain why you think the brain deserves that special status without asserting
> mind/matter dualism? I don't think so.

The brain doesn't deserve special status. Just as a digital simulation
of a heart can have a pulse, so can
simulated brains have thoughts.

-Dave